BoulderDash home page
Please note that this is a copy of Peter Broadribb's Boulderdash website.
He has disappeared off the internet (unfortunately), and this copy here is
not updated anymore (also unfortunately). If you are interested in a very
nice (free!) BoulderDash clone, check out my main site:
Supaplex. Also, I am making a similar game of
my own: Igor. Have fun!
Maarten Egmond (current host of this website)
Welcome to the source of all BoulderDash related info! Ensure your seat belts are fastened, and please discard your rubbish in the plastic bags provided rather than throwing it out the window. Enjoy your journey!
BoulderDash (also spelled Boulder Dash) was a very popular arcade-style game on the Commodore 64 (C64) and other computers in the mid 1980s. It has been so popular that many people have attempted to write their own implementations, sometimes with improvements, other times faithful to the original, on other newer computers.
Although I never completed a version of BoulderDash myself that was good enough to let other people have, I have done a fair bit of research into the exact workings of the original BoulderDash I from the Commodore 64, and I am now making this information available for other people so that all my work may not be for nothing.
I have tried to extract the key information from my work to present here. There may be things that you wish to know about the workings of BoulderDash I that is not presented here; if so, email me and you might be happy to discover that I can help you.
History of the commercial, real BoulderDash
First Star Software
Info about other commercial implementations
Links to other Internet resources
Boulder Dash Fan Club (Germany)
Info about people who have had something to do with BoulderDash
Programmers' Information about implementing BoulderDash
Request for more info!
I would like to see this be the ultimate BoulderDash home page, being a collection of everything BoulderDash-ish. If you have any BoulderDash related info, please make it available either by sending it to me to add to these Web pages, or by putting them on the Web yourself (and send me the URLs). In particular, I would like to see:
- More info about the commercial versions, including
- Who the authors of the DOS, C64 and Nintendo & GameBoy ports were
- Their contact info (address, email address)
- Release dates
- Packaging info (I'd like to say exactly what the leaflet in the package, if any, said)
- Any other commercial releases I don't know of yet
- Screen dumps/snapshots of various implementations, in particular the commercial versions
- Developer's implementation hints and details
- Details about various extensions that other people have added to BoulderDash
- Interesting articles and stories (magazine articles/intervies, Usenet postings)
- Other Internet resources (ftpable programs, web pages)
- Collections of C64 BoulderDash Construction Kit caves made available to the public
Webmaster for this page is Peter Broadribb